BFC – A Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam
Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam is an Earth Friendly noncorrosive, nontoxic, biodegradable foam concentrate used primarily for Class A combustibles. When mixed with water in the correct proportion, it changes two properties of the water. It reduces the surface tension of the water, and produces foam which allows the water to cling to vertical or horizontal surfaces without run off. This allows the water to absorb more heat and provides greater penetration into Class A fuels.
Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam concentrate is formulated to meet the requirements of NFPA 1145, 1150. Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam Concentrate is qualified by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Forest Service as a Class A Foam Concentrate Specification No. 5100-307. Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam Concentrate is also approved by Canadair Aircraft Company for use in their CL-215 Aircraft.
- Water treated with Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam Concentrate is 3 to 5 times more effective on Class A Fires than untreated water.
- Water treated with Buckeye Platinum Class A Foam will wet Class A fuels up to 20 times more efficiently than untreated water.
- Can be used with either fresh or salt water.
- Can be used with non-air-aspirating or aspirating handline nozzles.
- Suitable for use with helicopter Bambi bucket.
- Suitable for use with Compressed Air Foam Systems (CAFS.)
- Suitable for use on rubber (tires), coal, paper and many other types of Class A fuels.
- Suitable for use through medium expansion nozzles on Class A or contained Class B flammable liquids.
- Suitable for use with high expansion foam generators.
RECOMMENDED APPLICATION RATES
- Helicopter Bambi Bucket 0.3% – 0.5%
- Handline, air-aspirating nozzle 0.3% – 0.5%
- Handline, non-air-aspirating nozzle 0.3% – 0.6%
- Compressed air foam system (CAFS) 0.1% -0.3%
Currently there is no U.L. Standard or approval process for Class A foam concentrates, except for use as a wetting agent. In this case wetting agents are investigated to evaluate their wetting and penetrating ability, reduction in surface tension of water and extinguishing ability as compared to water. Under this investigation they are not investigated in combination with specific items of hard- ware. The Forestry Service has a test protocol for Class A foam concentrates and Buckeye Class A Platinum foam concentrate is approved. NFPA 18, currently being rewritten is the standard for vapor securing water additives.